Iran exports about $550m of medicinal herbs in 2023

The head of the agricultural commission of the Iran Chamber of Commerce, Industries, Mines and Agriculture (ICCIMA) said some $550 million of medicinal herbs were exported from the country last year (March 21, 2023 to March 19, 2024).

Speaking on the sidelines of the 31st International Exhibition of Food, Food Technology & Agriculture dubbed “Iran Agrofood 2024”, Mohammad Ali Rezaei stated that Iran currently exports medicinal plants to European countries, China, and many Arab countries.

He added that 60 percent of these products are related to the export of saffron products while the other 40 percent belongs to the export of medicinal herbs.

The official put the value of medicinal plants exported from the country last year at about $550 million, Mehr news agency reported.

Given the high volume of precipitation witnessed in the current year (started March 21, 2024), it is predicted that more crops with higher quality will be harvested in the country in the current year (started March 21, 2024), he added.